Friday, June 08, 2012

LET THE TRAINING BEGIN!


LET THE TRAINING BEGIN!



Last month, I decided to re-ignite the project of taking my HKC certification. It had been on the back burner for a while, but I love training with kettlebells and I find them to be one of the most effective tool to train my clients. Since I have a fair amount of traveling to do with my role as a Zumba® Jammer, I was reluctant to travel out of state for the HKC... But then... tah dah! The HKC comes to my door step! And voilĂ , the Salt Lake City HKC Certification!

So with this new deadline, I am re-adjusting my fitness goals to be able to pass my HKC. This is not one of those certification where a little studying and physical attendance suffices.
In order to pass, one must have been training with kettlebells for some time and must have trained with qualified trainers. There is a lot that goes into each of the moves required to pass.

The HKC revolves around a few functional basic moves:
- the Deadlift.
- the Two Handed Swings.
- the One Handed and Hand To Hand Swing.
- the almighty Turkish Get Up.

Only 4 (well 5) moves... but the devil is in the details and once can easily fail their HKC because of very small points of form. When you start delving into the exact for of the moves, it feels very much like ballet, with exacting technic point, total body tension and a very strong body awareness. Proprioception is key.

But I am a very lucky girl to have found Sondra Fair on my path to kettlbells. Former ballet dancer and ballet mistress at Ballet West, RKC certified and working on her RKC II (people, that alone is a feat, a FEAT!), Sondra has an eye like a hawk and is one of the best trainer I have ever encountered. I am so happy I get to work with her. And by work with her, I mean getting my butt whooped by her.

The goals is to complete 4 Kettlebell workouts a week on top of my Zumba® Fitness classes.
There are new guidelines for the swings which *frustrated groan* make it so I have to break some well ingrained patterns.

So, my workouts will be looking something like this.

- Warm-up and Deadlifts
- Waiter and Farmer's walks with an enphasis on the left side to balance the fact that yes, I have scoliosis.
- 100 53lbs Two Handed Swings.
- 100 26lbs (or) 35lbs One Handed Swings.
- 20 minutes of TGU.

I will add some strict shoulder presses and squats to the mix as well. I also plan on doing 1 P90X a week to keep things fresh.

This is a toll order for me, and I am very excited!


No comments: