Friday, March 18, 2011

CROSSFIT OPEN WEEK 1



I just did my first CrossFit Open workout. This week, the workout is composed of 30 double unders and 15 Power snatches at 55 lbs for women. You go for 10 minutes, as many times as possible. Check out this video if everything I just said means nothing to you.
Yesterday, after teaching my morning Zumba class, I went to Crossfit NRG and, with major jitters, did my workout with a judge. I was vastly disappointed in my performance. I had set my expectation to being able to do 4 rounds. I must have underestimated the difficulty of snatching my 55 lbs when my lungs are busted from the double unders. I pushed myself really hard and still did not achieve what I thought I could. I did 3 rounds, 30 double unders and 3 snatches. Thank you to James, Anne and Jag for the encouragement and the helpful pointers. I was wasting a lot of my energy bringing my barbell down, and trust me, it makes a huge difference... in a bad way...

I really felt like I could do better. I was rather disgruntled with that score and decided that I would do the workout one more time. Worse case scenario would be a worse score.

Today, no Zumba class till later so I went to NRG between 2 group workouts and our beautiful and strong trainer Aubrey agreed to be my judge.
I had my mind set on finishing that 4th round. Call it determination, obsession, maybe a little of both. I was going to push myself harder. This time I barely took take time to catch my breath before moving from double unders to snatches. I did *my* best. And for a moment, it seemed I was going to achieve my goal. I was in my 4th round, doing my snatches as fast as I could, looking at the last 10 seconds of my time dropping by. I realized, 3 seconds before the end that I would not be able to finish my 4th round entirely. I had 2 snatches left. In a sheer moment of anger I dropped my barbell and walked away, just about ready to cry.

SO CLOSE!!!


Working out CrossFit style is flirting with your physical limitations, pushing past what you think is your best. It's accepting that you are only as good as your weakest link. It can get emotional.

Check out how I am doing at my first CrossFit Games participation. I need all the cheers I can use.

No comments: