Wednesday, March 16, 2011

CHALLENGE YOURSELF



It's been close to 8 months since I started training at CrossFit NRG. The whole experience has changed my conception of exercise and fitness as well as introduced me to amazing new tools.

The idea that resonates with me most is that of fitness being a way to be prepared for the unexpected.
And I am sure in the light of recent news events, we can all see that life dishes us things we were not necessarily planning on. Your life might be saved by your ability to lift a heavy and unstable object, to climb up a very high wall, to run for a long distance, to run for a short distance as fast as possible.... Think Armed Forces and Firemen here.

In that spirit, I have continued to train at my most favorite CrossFit facility as well as incorporate different Beachbody workouts in random ways. My favorites still are Insanity for cardio, P90X Plyometrics or Ab Rippers X and of course, Turbo Fire. It's all about keeping my body on its toes, never encountering the dreaded plateau. And believe me, it has worked!

I also wanted to talk about the CrossFit Games. Amazing world event you guys. While some things can be expected of the different workouts of these Games (things like gymnastic moves, Power Lifting and endurance drills) there is still that element of unexpected. Watch this video to see more.


I am signed up for Sectionals, which I know full well, I will never get passed. And I am so cool with that. Fitness is about challenge and being competitive... with YOURSELF first and foremost. Challenge yourself to do better than last time, challenge yourself to do a workout at all when you don't feel like it. Challenge yourself to try something you have never tried and learn something new. Compete with yourself.
Run your own race.

No comments: